Creative England is proud to announce Gameslab Leeds, the latest regional installment of its successful Gameslab programmes.
- Our next GamesLab Leeds workshop is a tailored programme on Access to Finance, delivered by UKIE, and takes place 27th June - learn more HERE
Gameslab Leeds offers funding and support for games developers and digital companies in the Leeds City Region. Running up to 2019, Creative England are working across the region to deliver;
- £300,000 worth of grants to SME’s
- Mentorship with industry professionals and publishers
- Workshops on marketing, pitching and funding
- Support for new businesses
- Opportunities in emerging tech sectors
- Networking events
So if you are a games developer with a passion for gaming or a digital agency looking to expand your business, we’d love to hear from you.
The next workshop takes place 3-4th July - Watch this space for updates
To access support through Gameslab Leeds you must be:
- An SME registered at Companies House
- Registered and trading in the Leeds City Region*
- Committed to developing your business and expanding your team
The programme is most beneficial for:
- SME games companies looking to expand their company
- Start-up companies under 12 months old
- Work-for-hire companies that provide development services within the games industry on a contract basis, but do not develop their own IP
- Digital product/service providers who are keen to move into the game space
- Established game developers unable to commit further resources to gaming
- R&D and innovation due to pressure from commercial deadlines
The support provided by GamesLab would provide the stimulus for such companies to further in-house research and collaborate with start-up SMEs in the region. We’re particular interested in ideas related to emerging technology, such as VR or IoT.
*For the purpose of the GamesLab programme Leeds City Region is defined as Bradford, Calderdale, Craven, Harrogate, Kirklees, Leeds, Selby, Wakefield, York and North Yorkshire County Council
What support is on offer through the GamesLab programme?
Investments will be awarded between of £5,000 - £30,000.
The lower level investments will be awarded to support the development of beta prototyping and principle R&D. This strand of funding will be aimed at start-ups and work-for-hire companies.
A second strand of funding will be awarded in the region of £10k-£30k for the development of more sophisticated prototypes, leading to new IP generation, with a preference for emerging technologies
Gameslab will appoint a small panel of business / games industry experts to mentor the funded companies on a one-to-one basis
Of course not all problems need to be solved with money, often it's advice and guidance that would be most beneficial. So businesses not receiving funding can still access the support of the GamesLab programme through a series of group masterclasses
These masterclasses may cover (although will not be limited to) the following topics:
- Pivoting your business from a service-based to a product-based model
- Identifying and exploiting your assets and IP
- Understanding and converting opportunities in emerging tech sectors
- Development planning
- Marketing, building consumer interest and generating sales
- Access to finance, investors, publishers and distributors
What will the programme achieve?
The aim is that businesses supported through the
- Increase the number of staff they employ
- Collaborate / cooperate with research institutions
- Introduce new products to the market and /or Introduce new products to the company
Who will deliver it?
The project will be delivered by Creative England, funded by European Regional Development Funds (ERDF) and supported by Regional Growth Funds (RGF).
How do I get involved?
Have any questions? Just get in touch, we'd be happy to help
Sam Rushton, Project Officer: Sam.Rushton@creativeengland.co.uk
Tony Baldwinson, Project Manager: Tony.Baldwinson@creativeengland.co.uk
Masterclasses will be announced via our e-newsletters and social media accounts so please sign up and follow us